Friday, April 18, 2008

Mark Shane Nelson

So, tomorrow is HCG Gallery's big opening on Dragon Street! Why am I so excited? Well, you see HCG is the second gallery by those crafty fells over at Kettle Art Gallery in Deep Ellum, and my goodness they are off to quite a nice start. This three person show showcases some highly talented Dallas locals: Hal Samples, Luke Harnden, and Mark Nelson.

I was just in the gallery a few hours watching one of the owners, Kirk Hopper, put up some finishing touches, and it is big and beautiful!

Mark Nelson, a Kettle veteran and part of this grand opening, was kind enough to answer a few quick questions for the Sub-Rosa in lieu of tomorrows festivities. (Oh, and I'm allowed to pick fun at his wife Havi, she's my home girl.)


SR:
How did you get started as an artist?

MN: Probably first started making art in grade school art class, it’s always kind of come natural to me and I enjoy it almost more than anything.


SR:
Who are some of your influences?

MN: The list is much much to long and always changing. Some of my most recent painter influences would be Henry Rousseau, Edward Hicks, Hieronymus Bosch.

Other influence would be my friends, family, my lovely wife and all the ups and downs of life.


SR:
What was your most memorable art show?

MN: Doing the Affordable Art Fair in NYC was an amazing experience, but I think it was mainly the being in New York part that really blew my mind.

So much history in that city and so much talent, I think that trip changed my life a little and definitely influenced my art.


SR:
Can you tell me about the process you use to create your works?

MN: We got to have our secrets now don’t we haha. I’ve written a computer program that does it all for me.


SR:
What is it like being married to another creative (and slightly insane) individual like Havi?

MN: Havi is amazing and she is a great influence on my work – she’s like my own personal art critic that is not afraid to tell me what she really thinks.

Pisses me off sometimes but I need a good kick in the ass every now and then.


SR:
Who are some of your favorite artists here in the
Dallas area?

MN: The Kettle Crew!


SR
: What would you call your artistic style?

MN: I wouldn’t really call it anything in particular. Hopefully the critics don’t have a name for it yet, I would hate to have to live up those kinds of expectations.


SR: How do you feel about the current state of art in the North Texas area? Are you excited about the energy in the current artistic community?

MN: I’m a little detached from the North Texas Art scene as a whole – so I don’t really know.

All my artist friends are just kicking ass through – good to see so many people progress so fast, I’m loving it.


SR
: What do you have planned for the future?

MN: I’m going to take all my art apart and then put it back together again. Deconstruct, Reconstruct and Repeat.



No comments: