Saturday, January 12, 2008

Tonight!

Saturday January 12th
7pm - 10pm

TurningLens

Show runs until Febuary 9th, 2008

Bios:

Guy Reynolds:
Photojournalist for 25 years
Photo editor and photographer for The Dallas Morning News
Reynolds bought his first 35mm camera, a Minolta SRT-101, with money
earned throwing The Dallas Morning News in Richardson, where he grew
up. He shot photos for his high school newspaper and yearbook after a summer photography workshop. “I will never forget the thrill of watching a photograph magically appear in a tray of developer,” he said.

About a year ago, he started using a technique called through-the-viewfinder, in which he shoots with a digital camera through an old twin-lens. “It’s quite a trick using two cameras simultaneously,” he said. “I shoot lots of things with a minimalist approach and some things just to see what they look like as photographs. But I do some street photography and it’s a real challenge. I have six different twin-lens cameras and each yields a different result.”

A more recent approach has been shooting pinhole photos from a car with a digital camera. “Sometimes I’m driving and sometimes I’m a passenger.” Pinhole photography is a throwback to the first years of photography. Images are made without a lens. Doing it digitally combines the most basic with the most modern.

“All my photos are made in-camera; they’re not the result of manipulation with software tricks. I basically just do with software what I could do in the darkroom. For me, it’s much more of a challenge this way.”


Milton Adams:

Photo Editor at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and photojournalist for over 35 years. I am selftaught and decided to become a photographer in high school. Well, because you could work in a dark room with girls, how romantic that could be.

At Texas Tech University as head photographer of Student Publications I won awards in University photography competitions including best of show in several. Wow! Recognition and girls too how sweet. Milton Adams went from Texas Tech to a full time shooting job at the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. After thirteen years and several major awards for AP, UPI, NPPA, and Headliners he moved to Dallas and joined the staff of the Dallas Times Herald. After four years at the Herald the Fort Worth Star-Telegram started a weekly fashion section and needed a full time photographer. It was the greatest job he ever had. With the economic turndown in the late 80’s, Milton went to the regular photography staff and worked there till the digital revolution called upon his experience and computer skills and he moved into a management position.

After studying the masters of the profession and working hard, I spent decades as a journalist, bringing the news to the masses and gathering a few awards along the way. Seeing Presidents and champions, being the envy of many on the front row of history. Its a job and lifestyle I still love.

Van_Turn

Van Ditthavong:

After many failed attempts on the open-mic circuits in D.C. and New York - I somehow stumbled upon photography as an alternative to strumming the guitar. I guess someone was right by saying “when one door closes another opens.” Fortunately (for me and coffee house patrons in the northeast), I realized that the camera was not just another medium of expression but a wonderful way for me to examine myself and the world and people around me. I was hooked - photography took over and the guitar went into the closet. I am greatly inspired by the works of Edward Weston, Diane Arbus, David Lynch, Egon Schiele, and Francesco Clemente just to name a few.

I was born in Vientiane, Laos and left for the United States when I was four years old. I grew up outside Washington D.C. - and lived most of my adult life in Boston and New York. I received my undergraduate degree in Business Management from Boston University, but studied photography at F.I.T and I.C.P.. I now reside in Dallas, Texas.


*bios compiled by Kettle Art Gallery

No comments: