Friday, December 21, 2007

For Ben, R.I.P.

I am not a fan of the Polyphonic Spree.

They're nice people. I know several members in the band. In fact, I currently work with a girl in the choir. I know lots of people who are ex-members that have started many other wonderful bands that I love.

For years I've given many excuses as to why I dislike the Polyphonic Spree. I've never told anyone the REAL reason I can't stand to listen to this band. It has nothing to do with the stage show, costumes, the people or the music. Really the music isn't half bad.

No, the reason I can't deal with the Polyphonic Spree is because they remind me of my friend Ben. Ben is dead. The Polyphonic Spree was one of his favorite bands.

It was hard for me a few years back when he died. You see Ben Schepps was the only person who has ever affected the way I write poetry, and he was my biggest fan. He was one of the most intelligent, creative people I've ever had the chance to know.

I saw this video this morning and cried.

So thank you Polyphonic Spree for reminding me of Ben and how precious the ones we love are, and how quickly they can be taken away.



No comments: